Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feeling good!

After weeks of being in bed, then confined to a wheel chair, and finally walking with crutches, I'm happy to report I am back on my feet and loving it! I've been able to walk with relatively little pain for a couple weeks now, which means I'm also finally able to take care of my active toddler!

I have been on Lovenox shots for over a month and they are definitely helping! Luckily we've learned some tricks to make the shots much more bearable! They used to feel like pieces of barbed wire were being shot up and down the injection site! Ouch!! Since the medication is so thick, we've found the slower it's injected, the better! Shane has been a trooper administering the shots twice a day. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to give them to myself and have no plans to do so. Although I may have to be on them until the end of December, so Shane may need to train in my brother - sorry James!! I know I'm not the best patient!

Over the last few weeks, I have had several doctor appointments. We met with an OB, a Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist, and a Hematologist. We decided we wanted the most qualified person possible to take over my care for the rest of the pregnancy, so we choose the Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialists at MN Perinatal Physicians. We have definitely been in good hands which is very comforting! We had a level 2 ultrasound done and Baby looks perfect!

Our new doctor has set a plan in place for when the baby comes. It's nice to finally have a plan! But we'll see if Baby decides to stick to it. At 36 weeks, I'll be going off Lovenox and switching to Heparin, which is shorter acting. Then at 39 weeks (around October 9th) the plan is go off the Heparin for 24 hours and then head to the hospital to be induced. If all goes well, I'll be able to get that highly recommended epidural!

With the change in doctors, we've also changed hospitals. I will be delivering at United in downtown St. Paul. I've heard great things about the hospital. They are a Level III perinatal center and have an NICU just down the hall, adding some additional comfort just in case. Next week I'll start having weekly Biophysical Profiles and Non-stress Tests to make sure all is well with Baby. Although time consuming, it'll sure be nice to see Baby every week!

As for the many, many vials of blood drawn, the results came back showing that my Protein C and Protein S levels were lower than where they should be, even during pregnancy. So I'll have to have more blood work done after the baby comes. In January, my Hematologist scheduled another ultrasound of my leg, so I'll finally be able to see if the clot has dissolved...in only 5 more months! ARGGG!

No comments: