Friday, October 02, 2009

Just Around the Corner

It's hard to believe October is finally here! Things have been crazy in our household has we prepare for the arrival of Baby Slom Dos.

We had a minor medical setback a week ago...at 36 weeks I was taken off of Lovenox and put on Heparin (a different anticoagulant drug that lasts only 8 hours in your system). Shorter lasting meant that instead of 2 shots a day, I needed 3. And since Shane is the lucky one who gives me my shots, it meant trying to meet up with him in the middle of the work day. Not an easy task!

Throughout the next week of Heparin, I started to feel some throbbing in my leg - an all too familiar pain! At my 37 week appointment, I told my OB about the pain. She examined my leg - no redness, no swelling. Two common signs of a blood clot. She thought the leg looked fine, but if I was concerned she'd schedule another ultrasound. Since I never had redness or swelling with my first massive clot that spanned from my hip to my knee, I wasn't about to chance it and went in that afternoon for an ultrasound of my leg. The ultrasound showed a tiny clot forming in the middle of my thigh. ARGGG! Not what I had wanted to hear. My OB quickly took me off the Heparin and put me back on Lovenox.

Just one week later my leg is feeling back to normal. Although I despise the Lovenox shots, they are obviously doing what I need them to do. At my 38 week appointment today, the doctor said things were progressing nicely and we have an induction date scheduled!! Baby Slom Dos is scheduled to arrive October 12th if all goes well! Hopefully Baby decides to stick to the plan!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

October 12th is just around the corner!! How exciting. Can't wait!

God Bless all four of you - and here's all sort of hopes for an easy delivery and a happy and loving big brother!!

Love Marcia

Jen Nasner said...

Can't wait to hear about the baby's arrival. You guys will be in our prayers! Best wishes for a fast and easy delivery!

mks said...

Jess
Less than a week if things go according to plan. I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear the news! Have a wonderful delivery. Your joys will be multiplied again.

Mary Senneka