As a tribute to our family and the countless other families that have been brought together by FANA, we were privileged again this year to be a part of another successful fundraiser. The 15th Annual FANA Gala was held July 23rd and raised over $105,000 for FANA. We were honored to be a part of this wonderful event raising much needed money to provide food, shelter, clothing and medical care to the children of FANA and the future kids of our friends (or maybe even the next little Slom!) If you would like to make a contribution to FANA, it's never too late! Contributions can be made year-round by clicking here.
The FANA picnic the following day marked the 2nd anniversary of our referral. It was this day 2 years ago when we gazed through the crowd at a blue piece of paper that would forever change our lives as the following words were read, " I was born on August 24, 2007 and I am the new son of Shane and Jessica Slominski!" Even now, 2 years later, these words bring tears of joy to my eyes!
![]() |
| Gazing down at our son for the 1st time |
| Our very first photo of Owen |
| And 2 years later...the Slominskis with Mercedes (the founder of FANA) |
Then finally! Around the corner they appeared. And there he was! Our precious baby boy was finally in our arms where he belonged!
| Two years ago...The Slominskis with Mercedes at FANA |
Oh, how times have changed! Owen has grown from a baby to a "big boy". Just ask him, he'll gladly tell you, "I am a big boy!" and "I am growing up!" and "My feet are getting big!"
His imagination has flourished. If he growls at you, don't be alarmed, he's just pretending to be a T-Rex. Or if you see him carrying around a broom singing at the top of his lungs, no I'm not making him clean! He loves pretending to carry the cross, just like at church. We definitely have a future alter boy on our hands (or maybe the next Pope?!?)
Owen's talking is non-stop these days. "Mom, I need" this and "Mom, I need" that. He's quick to follow up a response with an inquisitive "And then what?" Which is often asked, not once, but 5 or 6 times. "And then what?" "And then what?" "And then what??" And when asked what he would like to do for fun, his answer is almost always, "Let's go see trains!"
Trains have become Owen's latest obsession. He often exclaims, "I love trains! I just love trains." We are frequent visitors to the Train Museum in St. Paul. But nothing is better to Owen than seeing a real train chugging along right in front of his very eyes. I never thought I would know just where to go to find one!
| Owen at the Train Museum |

No comments:
Post a Comment