Friday, August 10, 2007

35W Bridge Tragedy

As I'm sure everyone has heard, the 35W bridge collapsed during rush hour at 6:05 pm on August 1...

Shane and I have both been over that bridge countless times. It was terrifying to hear the news and to wonder whether anyone I knew had been on the bridge. Shane was on his way to the Twins game that night, so he was the first person I called. Luckily he had taken a different route and was already safely at the game. My next call was to my friend Laura to make sure her husband Chris was OK as he takes that bridge home from work everyday and would have been on it around the time it collapsed. By this time the phone lines were pretty jammed and it took a few attempts to get through. Once I finally got a hold of her, she told me Chris was fine, but it was a close call. He was actually on the bridge when it collapsed! (See the red circle in the picture below for his approximate location.) For more on Chris's story, check out http://www.thelesinskisonline.blogspot.com/


Upon arriving at work the next day, everyone was a bit on edge to see if anyone we knew had not shown up for work. Luckily everyone was accounted for. But news quickly spread of one co-worker's sister-in-law and another's son who had been on the portion of the bridge that collapsed. Both were in critical condition. As of today, both are still in the hospital undergoing surgeries to repair a number of broken and shattered bones, but thankfully they are expected to recover.

My co-worker's son who was on the bridge was in the silver SUV (the one with the black pickup truck on top of it below). It's a miracle he survived.


No comments: