Owen really enjoyed going to school at Little Lights. Every night he would ask, "What do I have tomorrow?" And when I'd respond, "Church School", he would squeal with glee! He loved his teachers, Miss Mary Ann and Miss Emily, and all the fun activities at school. Not only did he have a great time at school, he also learned a ton, including the sounds that each letter makes. Each week he had homework which focused on a new letter. He had to color his homework and find an item that started with that same letter. He would sound out the letter and then shout out different answers. The letter O was by far the easiest. "O - O - Owen!" Yep! We printed a picture of himself for his homework.
His coloring really improved over the school year. Instead of just scribbling, he is definitely coloring with thought in mind, staying in the lines (for the most part) and adding imaginative details, like drawing eye glasses on the animal of the week. But Owen's most drastic improvement was his penmanship. He can write his name perfectly and has every letter down from A to Z!
For the end of the year field trip at Church School, his class headed up to Pinehaven Farm. It was the same farm they went to last year, but this year Owen got to ride the school bus. It was his very first time on a school bus and he was so excited for the adventure (last year I was too nervous for him to ride the bus so I drove him myself - not that I wasn't nervous this year, but he REALLY wanted to ride on that bus!!) He will definitely miss attending Church School next year.
| Owen and his teacher Miss Mary Ann |
| Owen and his teacher Miss Emily |
Unfortunately, Owen didn't share the same level of enthusiasm for Mis Amigos. Attending a school where the teachers speak a different language has been difficult for him. But even though he wasn't excited to go to "Spanish School", whenever I came to pick him up at the end of the class, he was always having a great time. Which is a good thing because next year, Spanish School will be the only school he'll be attending.
He really liked his teacher, Maestra Ale, and she just loved him, wrapping him up in abrazos (hugs) every day. Maestra Ale was very impressed by Owen's fine motor skills, especially his scissors skills. Owen is an expert when it comes to cutting things out - he loves doing it so much that I find pieces of paper all over the house! He can even cut out hearts, which are not an easy shape for a 4 year old! She also said he is an excellent listener and a huge help when it comes to picking up. I think I responded something like, "WHAT?? Are you talking about my Owen?" Oh, how I wish he did that at home!
| Owen and Maestra Ale |
The last day of Spanish School was filled with lots of fun, including a huge bouncy house. Owen jumped around like a crazy kangaroo and had a blast. Even Cole had fun bouncing on the platform outside of the house, but he didn't get up courage to go instead with the wild big kids.
This year Cole and I also took a Mama y Yo class at Spanish School. He really enjoyed his time at school. His class was structured into 5 parts: music, play time, snacks, projects and more music. Cole loved every part, although I think his favorite was snack time! Cole loves to eat and before snack time the kids were expected to sit in their seats with their food sitting before them and not to eat anything until everyone was served their beverage and the snack time song was sung. Well, this never went over well with Cole. He was the youngest in the class by nearly 6 months and it was just too difficult for him to understand, plus he just loves to eat! So Cole almost always broke the rules and devoured his snack, sometimes even before the other kids started!
It was amazing to see Cole's progress from the beginning of the year to the end. His attention span really grew and he became a great little participant. He learned many of the words to the songs in Spanish and would sing right along. Cole even has a couple phrases down pat. When he asks for something and I say to him "What do you say?", his response is usually "por favor" (please). And if you ask him "Como estas?" (How are you?), he will shout out with two thumbs up, "Muy bien!" (Very good!) Cole loved his teacher, Maestra Gabby and would give her "abrazos" (hugs) every class. Next year Cole and I will attend the Mama y Yo class again and Cole will also attend Spanish School one day a week all by himself! Even my little guy is growing up!
| Cole and Maestra Gaby |
No comments:
Post a Comment