Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Day 4: A Bad Day

The day started out on a rough note. Shane picked up some sort of stomach bug or ate/drank something bad, and he was out of commission all day. The rest of us kept busy (and thankfully healthy) throughout the day. Cole and Nana Bev played outside on the grounds of our apartment complex most of the morning. Owen got caught up on his homework and an unhealthy dose of Roblox. And Rose and I ventured out on our own in search of a few necessities.

After our errands, the 5 of us (minus Shane) walked over to Oma for lunch. We all LOVE Oma. They have delicious food and the best drinks - Owen always orders a vanilla shake, Rose gets a chocolate shake, Cole a limonada de coco, and us grown-ups love their coffee!




After lunch, it was time to get ready to visit Kate. Since Shane was under the weather, I went by myself. Jorge Rico picked me up and drove me down the now all to familiar route to the hospital. When we got there, Kate wasn't in her usual room. We found out for some reason she had been moved from the more private two-patient room to a large room with 12 kids. When we found her, she was sleeping in the FANA nurse's arms with nothing on but her diaper. I knew immediately something was wrong. This morning she had spiked a fever and was having difficulty breathing.  They x-rayed her chest which showed that she now has pneumonia. This really caught me off guard.  Just yesterday she had improved so much they had planned to take her off oxygen soon - she was only at .5 liters but today she's back up to 1 liter of oxygen. By the time I had arrived, her temperature was back to normal and her breathing had stabilized (although she was still breathing quickly).


She was a very tired girl and fell asleep several times while I was holding her. I read her a book, but she didn't seem interested so I brought out a toy and she loved it! The nurse came to give her medicine through an oxygen mask. Kate was not too happy with that, but after I gave her back her toy, she played and played with it - moving it up and down.


I had a really hard time parting with her today. She had fallen asleep in my arms after the inhaler and I gently laid her down. It's much easier to leave if she's sleeping or happy. But the nurse came back and woke her up to clean out her nose. Poor Kate was in tears. I had to stay and comfort her. She hadn't eaten all day - for some reason they said it was best if she didn't eat, but my poor baby was so very hungry so I kept asking if she could eat yet and finally they said yes! So I stayed to feed her and she devoured the bottle. She was SOOO hungry. She seemed okay when I left, but knowing how quickly her condition changed this morning made me very worried to leave.

Maria Teresa Maldonado from FANA was waiting for me at the apartment when I got there. She had come over to pick up the payment for Kate's visa and brought the kids some yummy brownies and cupcakes. She said if Kate is released from the hospital this weekend, we can pick her up at FANA on Monday and have our meeting with Bienestar on Friday.

We are hoping and praying for a full recovery and release from the hospital sometime this weekend. Please send up some prayers for our little princess that she will be healed completely and finally be able to join her family. We are so eager to have her with us.

No comments: