Shane, Owen, Cole and Nana Bev enjoyed another breakfast at our hotel. Unfortunately, they were quite loud before they left and awoke our sleeping beauty Rose at 7:30 am (she usually sleeps until 9:00 am). But when she heard everyone else up, she said, "Mom! They are up! Let's get up." So we did.
The rest of the morning was spent with the two littles playing outside our apartment complex and watching Netflix while Owen had his face buried in the iPad playing Roblox and watching YouTube videos and getting caught up on his homework. Our days are beginning to feel a bit like the movie "Ground Hog Day" with lots of apartment time in the morning followed by visiting Kate at the hospital during the afternoon.
| Owen teaching Nana Bev all about Roblox |
![]() |
| Rose pretending to be a puppy |
| Cole and Nana Bev playing on our balcony |
At 2:00 once again Patricia picked us up to bring us to the hospital. This time our paralegal Maria Teresa Perez joined us. Maria Teresa escorted us to the security guard and after what seemed like a heated discussion in Spanish, I was allowed in with her.
I've found that she really loves the sound of "shush" and the song "Twinkle Twinkle" so eventually I was able to calm her to sleep. She must have been exhausted because the room was so loud with screaming babies and the monitor that tracks her breathing beeping every 15 seconds. Yet she was still able to sleep soundly for the 2 hours I was there. I so badly wanted to hold her, but instead just kept my hand on her leg so she knew I was near.
After speaking with the doctor, I found out that her condition has not improved since the last time I saw her. She is remaining steady with no additional crisis situations so that is good news. But she is highly dependent on oxygen right now. Her breathing rate is very elevated, ranging from 45 - 55 breaths per minute although sometimes going past 60. It was very scary when her breathing reached 68 bpm. The FANA nurse hurried over and administered two different inhalers which seemed to help. A healthy 9 month old breathes between 24 - 30 bpm, so she is working twice as hard to breath, even with oxygen therapy.
Shane was allowed in at some point so I filled him in on her status. I stood there for the 2 hours we were there, hand on her leg, tears running down my face. Seeing her today, unless there is a miracle, the chance of her being released anytime soon is unlikely.
We are stuck in limbo as our adoption process can't move forward until she is released from the hospital. Our 3 1/2 week trip to Colombia will likely end up being 6+ weeks due to the government shut down at the end of the month. We will of course do whatever needs to be done to ensure the health of our sweet Kate and get her home. But we will need to re-visit our original plan as Shane needs to get back to work and my Mom needs to fly home May 24th and I can't be here alone with 4 kids (one of which can't be exposed to the environment).
We truly need a miracle that Kate is healed quickly and everything comes together to get us to La Mesa to finalize her adoption as soon as possible. Please pray for us.


1 comment:
God has this. Without that faith and trust, this situation would look hopeless. Let's focus on The Great Healer to take care of this. Trust that He knows Kate's need for His touch and we are the ones that pray boldly for her healing, so this adoption can move forward and you can bring her home. I have complete confidence that all of this is part of God's beautiful plan for Kate. She is in Good Hands. Trust in that, Jess and Shane ! There is going to be a miracle here, I just know it. Sending much love from Maplewood MN ! xo
Post a Comment