Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Day 22: The Package & Passport

Today went off as planned! A rare occasion when working through an adoption process that I have barely any control over. But luckily today was a jam packed day full of progress!

I woke up this morning to see that Shane's package was already on a Fedex vehicle and out for delivery in Georgetown. At 8:00 am it was delivered to the Marriott. YES! Now I just needed to pick up the passport and I'd be set for the meeting at the US Embassy.

Quincy picked us up around 9:30 am and off we went to the passport office. The building was a buzz with lots of people picking up their passports or applying for new ones. I was looking quite confused as I wasn't sure just how the pick up process went, when one of the officers came up to me and asked for the slip I had received when I had applied for the passport last week. I gave it to him and he had me take a seat. 15 minutes later Aria's name was called. After showing the proper documentation including the notarized letter that Shane had mailed granting me permission to pick up the passport in his absence, we were all set!

We headed back to the hotel to get Aria fed and then off to the Embassy we went. I was thinking it would be a quick in and out, but I was sure wrong. When we arrived, we weren't on "the list" so one of the officers had to find out if we'd be allowed in. Within 10 minutes, we were granted access and made our way through security.  Soon our names were called and we went to the same window # 7 and spoke to the same woman that we had talked to previously. I gave her the documents we had been missing and was told to take a seat. An hour passed and Aria was getting a bit cranky. It was nap time after all. The clock kept ticking by but still nothing. My arms were killing me holding onto an extra 14+ pounds of squirmy girl. I had brought the stroller with, but it was raining quite heavily when Quincy dropped us off so he said he'd just keep it. I don't think he wanted to get soaked. And I didn't think we'd be there very long so I didn't push back. If I had only known. While Aria is a tiny peanut, holding her for a couple hours straight is not easy on the arms or back.

Finally after waiting 1 1/2 hours, our names were called. We went to a different window this time and spoke with a different woman. She asked all sorts of questions as she paged through our pile of paperwork. After nearly an hour, we were given the green light to get Aria's medical exam completed and to return to the Embassy once it's done. There are only 2 approved physicians and I am hoping we can get on one of their schedules tomorrow. All we have left now are the medical exam, visa interview and visa issuance. We are getting close!


No comments: