Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Day 23: The Medical Exam

Aria and I were up early and ready for progress. I was hoping to get ahold of one of the Embassy's approved doctors and make a same-day appointment. I wasn't sure if it would be possible, but I was sure going to try.

Shortly after 8:00 am, I called Dr. Devi's clinic. I was thinking they probably wouldn't be open until 9:00, but to my surprise, someone answered the phone. I explained our situation and the woman on the other side of the phone said to come on over. 


Quincy picked us up at 8:30 and off we went to Mercy Hospital, a drive all too familiar. Dr. Devi's clinic was so small that they even weigh you and do eye exams in the receptionist area. There are 2 additional rooms - one tiny room for billing and one small exam room. The nurses and receptionist were so sweet and helpful. Aria and I walked in and the woman sitting at the desk knew exactly who we were and why we were there.

I did get a bit of push back about the USCIS Vaccine Exemption form that I had brought with. The nurse originally claimed that Aria had to get any required vaccines, but by the end of our visit, the doctor signed off without any shots. Thank goodness! I'm not sure about the quality of vaccinations in Guyana and Aria will likely need a titer blood test when we return home.

Dr. Devi is a tiny, elderly Indian woman. She looked to be 80 years old. We chatted briefly about Aria's medical history. Then she did a quick exam listening to her lungs and measuring her height. Aria was not at all happy about this and started screaming her little lungs off. She was screaming so hard she didn't stop to breathe for far too long so I scooped her up and she slowly settled back down. Because she is under 2 years old, we were able to skip some of the more extensive testing and they were able to have our medical report ready to be picked up at 12:30 this afternoon! So come 12:30, we were heading back to Mercy hospital to pick up the report and deliver it to the Embassy. 

The woman who interviewed us at the Embassy yesterday said to come back to the Embassy in the morning once we have our medical report, but the letter I had received from her said to come in the afternoon. I didn't want to miss out on a chance they'd let us have our visa interview this afternoon, so after getting the medical report, we headed back to the Embassy. Worst case scenario we'd be asked to come back in the morning.

We showed up at the Embassy and quickly got in with the letter I had received yesterday. We made our way through security and to the waiting area. We waited and waited as people arrived and left and we still waited. Finally after an 1 1/2 hours of waiting, my name was called. We went to the window and saw the initial woman who had collected all our paperwork on our two previous visits. I gave her our remaining documents and then was told we'd have to come back in the morning for our interview. Ugh. WHY?!?

Tomorrow morning, we have an 8:00 am appointment for our visa interview! Then the only step remaining will be getting Aria's visa issued and we'll be coming home! If all goes well, we'll be home in just a few more days!!




No comments: