Friday, August 08, 2008

Day 10!

Day 10 started out with breakfast… More unsweetened prunes and oatmeal for Owen while Shane was making his favorite, rice cereal.

More prunes mom!!

Ummm...rice cereal. That's the good stuff dad!

Then we headed to a baby class at FANA with the Sibley’s. It was the very first time that we were apart from Owen and the Sibley’s were apart from Lucas. The four of us piled into the smallest cab I’ve ever seen. I must admit that I almost lost it as I looked out the window of our cab as we drove away and saw Owen looking back at me with those big brown eyes as one of the maids at El Refugio who was holding him waved good bye.

Once again the cab driver had problems finding FANA and we took another “interesting” route to get there. The baby class was given by Elizabeth, the head nurse at FANA. Normally we would have gone to the class sooner, but Elizabeth was in New York with over 10 of the older children from FANA. They were there for a new program that FANA was doing to help place older children. The children were told that they were going on a vacation of sorts and spent a few weeks in the homes of families. At the end of the vacation, the families were able to adopt the children that had stayed with them. The program was a tremendous success as all the children that went found families!

Elizabeth showed us how to bath, feed and diaper a baby. Little 2 month old Andres was kind enough to be our practice baby.

I was lucky enough to be able to feed little Andres. It was quite different than what I’m used to! He was so tiny I was scared I’d break him! He barely ate a thing and ended up falling asleep in my arms.

After baby class, we headed back to El Refugio and found Owen being well cared for by Carmen (who runs El Refugio). He had just gotten done finishing off an entire jar of verduras y pollo (veggies and chicken). We of course swept him up in our arms and planted several big smooches on his cheeks. Then he had some fun showing off his moves...

Aren't I the best drooler Mom!

After lunch, we headed to the famous Crepes and Waffles for some delicious ice cream.

It was our first time to the well known establishment and I must say I think we’ll be going back tomorrow afternoon. It was YUMMY!!

Owen got a big kick out of the paper place mats (he sure loves paper!)

Next we headed to buy some baby supplies and get some cash – which was much harder than you’d think. We hit 2 ATMs that didn’t work, but the third finally came through!

Then we were off to El Refugio to get ready for dinner at Mercedes' house. Dinner was a bit nerve racking with our mover and shaker wanting to check everything out. There were many close calls as tiny hands grabbed for china, dug in flower pots and tried to poke smaller kids in the face!

Wow Mom! You sure move fast!

We were just glad that by the end of the night nothing had been broken! It was a long night for our little guy who was exhausted by the time we got home. He had some fun playing in his diaper (which is his absolutely favorite outfit!) and then it was bedtime.

Tomorrow we’re off to the botanical gardens with the rest of the El Refugio guests. It should be a good time!

No comments: